Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Bard and Me

Hey Everyone,

Glad to finally be addressing some questions posed previously. I didn't even know about Bard until I saw it on the tour schedule for the Ivy League connection, and frankly, I wasn't interested. I had had a pretty closed mind about any college not on my top 3 list and had shut Bard out of the picture. After being admitted into the Ivy League connection program and being "urged" :-) to research other schools, I felt bad about my unwillingness to explore other possibilities and saw how what I thought was resolve was actually detrimental to a key part of my college experience--the college search. The Ivy League connection helped to open my eyes to yet another of the many possibilities in life.

Any school with the name Bard is definitely a school to consider for me since creative writing is one of my passions; what better place to master my craft than a place named after the master craftsman. From my trip back East overall however, I expect to learn much more than just how to write a mean poem. I know that I will explore myself in relation to the world, learn my place in a totally new city, learn about the balance of power here in the US and how that has changed since our inception with emphasis on how that power has changed for the President, and much MUCH more. Once again, I AM SOOO JUICED!

2 comments:

  1. Beulah,

    Very definitely worth the wait.

    I’m guessing that when you get a chance to visit Bard you’re going to be impressed.

    After reading your message I got to thinking about how Mr. Bard was a poet and how William Shakespeare is often referred to as The Bard. My question is: which came first—the title for old Will or the way John Bard became a poet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beulah,

    From reading your post you sound ready to go to New York. Two and a half months will be here before you know it. I am excited for you and the rest of the ILC Cohort that will travel to New York City. Remember, we still have the dinner with the Columbia alums on May 4th. At that time you will get a chance to learn more from those who have already attended this wonderful academic institution.

    Hope all else is well.

    Charles T. Ramsey, Esq.
    School Board Member
    West Contra Costa
    Unified School District

    ReplyDelete