Wednesday, May 5, 2010

A Learning Opportunity at Scala's Bistro

Last night, May 4, we had our ILC Columbia Dinner at Scala’s Bistro. I didn’t really know what to expect; the only thing I knew was that we had to dress up nice to take BART. Nonetheless, I was still excited to attend and learn more about the program. 

Upon arrival at the BART station, I was greeted by Don Gosney and our (MCHS) counselor, Ms. Hart. As time passed, more and more people arrived. I met Michael and Jamie from the Intensive Chemistry course, both I realized I went to middle school with so we really didn’t meet. I have to say, the weather was perfect for taking BART and walking six blocks. After the walk, we finally made it to Scala’s Bistro!

We had cute little appetizers and more adults arrived that I didn’t know. We did the whole mingling thing, meeting and conversing with people. Eventually we sat down and were introduced. Michael and Beulah were our student speakers and I think they did an excellent job of representing us.

I learned a lot about Columbia from a 2009 graduate, Mitch Flax who was sitting right beside me. He told me a lot about the campus experience, the student body and the differences between New York and the Bay Area. I was so happy to learn about Columbia from someone who had just recently attended rather than from the Internet.

Overall, the night was spectacular! I finally understand how much work and how many people go into making the ILC what it is and I am truly grateful for the opportunity. It seems now that each day we’re getting closer to boarding the plane to New York. I hope to see all of you at the School Board meeting May 12!

1 comment:

  1. Michelle,

    These dinners can be great opportunities to learn things you didn't know, meet people you didn't know and to eat things you 'didn't know'.

    All in all, a great learning opportunity. Wait a minute--where have I read that before? Could it have been in the title to this blog?

    ReplyDelete