Sunday, June 27, 2010

First Day at Columbia

The New York heat is starting to get to me. 

Today, we ate brunch with a Yale Admissions Officer, Alex. While I would have liked to have asked him more about his major, astrophysics, but learning about the admissions process was the purpose of our meeting, so talk of black holes came second. 

What is really important about today, is that it’s our big moving day! After eating, we grabbed our already packed bags, and taxied over to Columbia University. 

The campus is beautiful, but the weather is as hot as ever. On the other hand, I’ve talked with some students from Florida who assure me that this level of heat is nothing. 

What’s really surpised me is the huge variety of places that people come from. In our RA’s group alone, there are three people from California, one from Indonesia, one from Korea, one from Connecticut, and only one actually from New York. In a few minutes, I’m going to meet with my group for an orientation of sorts, so I’ll cut this short. Have a great day everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Jamie,

    I'm betting that when the Floridians told you that their heat is far more oppressive than the heat you were suffering through on this day, that it really didn't make you feel any better.

    Heat and humidity can suck the life right out of you.

    With most weather, though, it's what you become accustomed to. I'm betting that if your New York groupmate were to come to the Bay Area he might feel out of place with such 'perfect' weather.

    ReplyDelete