Sunday, July 4, 2010

Happy 234th Birthday, USA! (Thanks, Don!)

Happy Independence Day, everyone! I think that it's poetic justice that I'm taking a course that heavily involves the roots of this country's history, and I get to celebrate the Fourth of July here too!

This morning, I decided to take a stroll through Central Park, and try to walk from the north end to the south end. It was a really hot and humid day, but it was still a really casual and relaxing walk! There were lots of people barbecuing or picnicking, and everyone seemed like they were really enjoying themselves. After two and a half hours, I was exhausted and totally drained, and thought that I was near the end of the park. However, much to my surprise, when I consulted a map, I found out that I had barely made it halfway through! At that point, I called it quits, and hopped on the nearest Metro back to my dorm to take a well deserved nap. Here are some pictures!



After the nap, I went with my RA, Kyle, and several other people from my floor to see the famed fireworks of New York City! We went to 72 St., where there was an onramp to a bridge that was closed off to let pedestrians gather to watch the fireworks! Unfortunately, I forgot to bring my camera, so I'll have to make do with words. (Yes, one picture is worth a thousand words, but words are the most that I have, due to my forgetfulness.)

The fireworks on the West Coast were simply incomparable. There is nothing like being there in the flesh, watching the brilliantly colored fireworks and feeling the percussive "thump!" in your chest when they explode! Unfortunately, we had to leave right before the grand finale to make sure that we got back to Columbia before the curfew due to the large amount of people who were on the Metro. Other than being forced to miss the finale, and forgetting my camera (I'm still hitting myself for that), it was a great day! Happy Fourth of July!

1 comment:

  1. Winston,

    I wouldn't be bringing this up except that you're taking a government class and this kind of ties in:

    Check out the title of your blog again. I KNOW you know that America isn't having a birthday today. America stretches from Tierra del Fuego to just below the North Pole.

    The United States, on the other hand, did celebrate a B-Day today.

    My cat is just now crawling out from under the furniture where he decided to let all of this evening's explosions pass him by. I would call him a scaredy cat but I don't think that would bother him.

    ReplyDelete