Saturday, July 3, 2010

Relaxing Day

Well, today was a nice relaxing respite from the hustle and bustle of the week. I was able to sleep in today, and after a leisurely morning, I went to the Metropolitan Museum of the Arts. There wasn't enough time to see the whole museum, due to the massive collections of art and artifacts in the museum. The really interesting exhibits were the Modern Art exhibits, as I felt as if I could relate to those pieces of art more than some of the other art. I especially enjoyed the sculpture or 3D art, as those were very original and spectacular, such as this shark preserved in a vat of formaldehyde.

Apparently, you're not supposed to take pictures of the shark, but I didn't find that out until after I took the picture. Whoops.

After we left the museum, I bought a nice piece of art from a street vendor! I loved the simplistic design that still managed to convey so much meaning and imagery. Also, the innovative usage of normal household items was also interesting. (That's my laptop cable and ethernet cord in the background, in case you're wondering.)

Anyways, after that, we went to Grand Central Terminal to eat. The station was enormous. I loved the station's roof, which was patterned to show the constellations of the night sky. While the station wasn't exactly deserted, there was fewer people there than I originally thought there were going to be. Maybe it was because it was July 4th weekend?

However, today wasn't all fun and games. After I returned to my dorm, I managed to focus enough to get more work done on my paper! The introduction is now (mostly) complete, and all that's left is... about 19 more pages. All in all, today was a very productive and enjoyable day! For tomorrow's July 4th, my RA is going to take us out to see the fireworks from 72nd street! (Probably.) I'll be sure to try to take pictures and upload photos of that for tomorrow! Good night!

2 comments:

  1. Winston,

    Glad you have a firm handle on your paper. I always thought the first page was the toughest. Once I got past that the rest just flowed.

    Cool shark.

    Usually they don't like photos taken in museums because the UV rays from the electronic flashes will destroy the colors and even the fabrics of many museum pieces. Even though this shark looked to be well lit, sometimes they just have a blanket policy against photos just to make sure you don't inadvertently use a flash.

    Then again, sometimes they just want to corner the market and sell you overpriced postcards in the gift shop.

    Did they say anything about why no photos?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice pics, Winston

    ReplyDelete