Saturday, July 10, 2010

Visit to University of Pennsylvania Today!

Today, we went as a group to visit the University of Pennsylvania! Unfortunately, our visit was somewhat marred by the fact that it was raining heavily when we arrived, and while navigating our way through the puddles towards the Admissions Office, I managed to walk straight into a huge puddle. By the time I flailed my way out of the puddle, both my shoes and first few inches of my jeans were totally soaked, which made the rest of the visit somewhat unpleasant for my feet. 

Regardless of the rain however, UPenn has a beautiful campus stretched over about six blocks. The style of architecture varies widely between different buildings, and there is lots of open space on campus without making the University seem too widely space. 

When we went into the hall in which the information session was held, I was captivated by the original and unique architecture of the hall.


Afterwards, we went on a campus tour that was very informative, but very hard to follow due to the profuse rain and the continual search for dry spots to stand in. However, the guide was very informative and cleared up a lot of my questions about the college, especially about the Wharton School of Business, which really appealed to me. Plus, the interior of the building for the Wharton School looks really comfortable and cozy.

We had to leave the tour early to meet up with four UPenn students who were gracious enough to meet with us and talk to us about the college over lunch. At lunch, I had my first "Philly" cheese steak! It was really interesting getting to talk to real students about college life in an informal and casual meeting. For example, one of the students talked about how open UPenn is towards student groups and how he managed to organize the East Coast Asian American Student Union to be able to hold a convention on the campus without any messy problems with the campus bureaucracy.

Tomorrow we're going to Yale, and even though we can get up later than today, it's still pretty early, so I'll blog about Yale tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. Nicely written, Winston!
    Ms. K

    ReplyDelete
  2. Winston,

    GREAT photos of the inside of those buildings. Very nice to look at. I'm betting the sights were even better in person.

    As for those soaked shoes and pant legs, I learned a few tricks some years back that solved that problem for me: I ordained myself as a God and learned how to walk on water. I try not to flaunt it in front of others but it comes in handy from time to time.

    ReplyDelete