Thursday, July 8, 2010

Water in New York

I've been saying this over and over, but tomorrow's the day that I'm going to get a camera. 

Today was a pretty mild day. I woke up in time to grab breakfast before heading to the labs. Today, we utilized Thin Layer Chromatography (TLC) in an effort to separate aspirin from salicylic acid. While that experiment didn't work out, we succeeded in separating chlorophyll from beta carotene using Column Chromatography. 

By the end of classes, I was unable to keep my eyes open and slept for three hours. 

After waking up, I met up with some friends to go to a Starbucks (which apparently has become our de facto hangout spot) and do Chemistry homework. Starbucks is the only place I know of in New York where they will give you a cup of ice water without expecting you to pay! I was a bit shocked the first time when I asked for water at a McDonalds and was denied service! 

Anyways, I'm getting up in two hours to go to a free Lady Gaga concert. Starbucks is probably going to get some of my money tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. Jamie,

    As you probably know, there's no such thing as a 'free' concert. You may not have to dig into your wallet to pay for it but the cost to you in lost sleep, standing around waiting and the intense heat is still a price to be paid.

    But then again, it's Lady Gaga!

    I know this may seem bizarre but maybe someone at Starbucks has developed a conscience about charging $5 for a cup of coffee and figures that if they give away a free cup of water now and again then maybe you'll come buck with an extra fiver in your pocket.

    ReplyDelete